April 14th 2012 5:59 a.m.

Greetings in Jesus Name

Eph 5:16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.

Col 4:5 Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time.

Time is an interesting subject. Here in these verses we are told to be redeeming the time. What does that mean?

1805 1805 εξαγοραζω exagorazo ex-ag-or-ad’-zo

from 1537 and 59; TDNT-1:124,19; v

AV-redeem 4; 4

1) to redeem
1a) by payment of a price to recover from the power of another, to ransom, buy off
1b) metaph. of Christ freeing the elect from the dominion of the Mosaic Law at the price of his vicarious death
2) to buy up, to buy up for one’s self, for one’s use
2a) to make wise and sacred use of every opportunity for doing good, so that zeal and well doing are as itwere the purchase money by which we make the time our own

This definition is straight out of the strongs concordance. Let's look at parts of it.

Redeem: By payment of a price to recover from the power of another

I love this aspect of the definition. Understand that time is what we are told to be redeeming. We are recovering (redeeming) time back from the power of another. That's right Satan has used our time long enough it's time we redeem it and get it back from him so we can use it for God's Glory. How many times have you heard someone say or even said your self, "I have given Satan enough of my life it's time I live for the Lord Jesus Christ." This is what their talking about.

Redeem: to make wise and sacred use of every opportunity for doing good

I also love this part of the definition. We need to think about every oppurtunity that is presented to us. We need to use everyone of these oppurtunities for doing good not evil. Time is something that once it's gone we never get it back. But in God's economy because He's a great and mighty God He does allow us to redeem it.

May each of us take what God has given us for the rest of our days and redeem it for His honor and Glory. Amen and Amen!

Now to an illustration.

Yesterday I was up early studying and preparing for chapel. Before chapel I flew up to Portland to visit. Let's look at time I redeemed by using a modern tool called an airplane. Understand that on shorter trips it's more difficult to redeem time but you do redeem some.

I left Sanford at 9:30
I visited at Maine Medical till 10:25
I was in Chapel Preaching at 10:55

If I was driving I would have left at 9:30
Got into Portland at 10:30
Visited till 11
Drove home by 12.
So you see how I redeemed just over an hour.

Another illustration from yesterday.

I left Sanford at 2p.m. to fly to Manchester N.H. with my wife.
We arrived and set up our display at Victory Baptist Church and flew home at 3 p.m.

To drive it would be like this.

Leave a 2 arrive at 3:30
Set up display and drive home and be home by 6 because of rush hour.

So you see I redeemed three hours.

So yesterday alone just by using an airplane I redeemed four hours. Well somebody say Glory!! This is time that I can use doing other things for the Glory of God! It's exciting to make the most out of every day.

May each of us Redeem the time that we have!

A Servant for Christ

Pastor Todd Bell

P.S. Is sleeping till lunch on Saturday and vacation days redeeming time? Ouch! Smile! (I love you)

No comments: